Friday, May 9, 2008

Starlight Mint.........

Again I apologise for my previous post but I don't believe that "Jeppy" is the only one who reads the Brooklyn Boule Blog.......

On another note;
As we all know, it is inexcusable to forget to bring a Cochonnet with you when you set out for a nice game of Petanque. Unfortunately though it does happen, and more times than I'd like. Standing on the Piste with Boules in hand, it is hard to turn around and hike back home in search of your missing target. So the improvisation kicks in and alternatives are reached for. In the past we have successfully used a discarded Coke bottle cap, being red and roughly the right size, not to mention that our park is well used and a little unkempt, they're not too hard to find. But last Sunday, we we're in that unforgiving circumstance. Yet there was not a Coke cap to be found, remarkably. So we scoured the grounds in search of "something" that we could use. Then at last I found, on the grass, a wrapped Starlight Mint, neglected or lost, all on it's lonesome. So, in a very humorous and some times frustrating way, we used the little stripy candy as a Cochonnet. So from that I was wondering what other, if any, substitutions have been made by players in the same situation. Please feel free to send me or leave a comment on the object that became Cochonnets, because all you wanted to do is play Petanque, and walking or driving home, was not an option.


1 comment:

Baby Nubbins said...

I also don't believe that I'm the only one that reads the Brooklyn Boule Blog. It is always filled with great pictures of healthy looking cool New Yorkers, and interesting tales of your petanque exploits. In fact, as I was born and lived in New York for 33 years (before moving out to Detroit) I daresay that if Brooklyn Boule existed back in 2002 I may not have ever left New York! (Shhhh don't tell my wife!)

Anyhow, I feel your pain - sometimes running a club, carting out the equipment, and waiting around for nobody to show sucks. But I've found over the years, you just chalk those days up for practicing. The key to growing an obscure (in the USA) sport is to be consistent. To show up at the regular club dates/times. This eventually kicks in with folks that they can depend upon a game (or 10) of petanque being available.

The only other variable: location. If you're in the middle of a busy pedestrian area, you're going to get a regular crowd.

Be Patient, Boule On!

Jeffrey "Jeppy" Widen
-Detorit Petanque Club
(and as of Sunday at 5pm - World Record Holder for longest petanque marathon "48 hours!")
www.detroitpetanque.com
www.michiganpetanque.com
www.petanquealliance.com